International Women’s Day is today (#IWD2019)! A global celebration of the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, the day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. This year’s theme #BalancefoBetter calls on all of us to build a gender-balanced world.
Ways You Can Celebrate International Women’s Day
1) Honor an important woman
Ask your kiddos to name a special woman in their lives. Suggest they create a gratitude card for that person, one that includes why the woman is important to them. Deliver the card personally, mail it, or take a phone photo to send digitally. Create your own card for a woman who is special to you.
2) Make a music playlist showcasing women artists
Last year NPR put out a list of The 200 Greatest Songs By 21st Century Women. Compiled by more than 70 women and non-binary writers from inside and outside NPR, the list celebrates how women and non-binary musicians are shaping the sound of music today. Use the list to buy music and jam out.
3) TED videos are awesome, watch them
- Why women should tell the stories of humanity
- The story of Marvel’s first queer Latina superhero
- Small ways women can support each other at work
- Why should you read sci-fi superstar Octavia E. Butler?
- The historic women’s suffrage march on Washington
- The political progress women have made — and what’s next
4) Commit to supporting a nonprofit for women and girls
Whether a domestic abuse shelter, health clinic, female film festival, after school program or job-search assistance, learn about nonprofits for women and girls. Back one that inspires you with time and/or money (remember there’s no such thing as a too small monetary gift).
5) Strike a Pose
Show support for #IWD2019 by striking a #BalanceforBetter pose and snapping a picture. Share the image on your social as a call-to-action for others and follow the #BalanceforBetter hashtag.
6) And always purchase and support creative works by women!
Written by Erin Prather Stafford
Graphic by Maria Skrigan at Creative Market
More Girls That Create Posts