International Women’s Day is today (#IWD2020)! A global celebration of the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, the day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. This year’s theme #EachforEqual reminds us a gender equal world can be a healthier, wealthier and more harmonious one.
Consider These Key Points
- An equal world is an enabled world
- The rise of women is not about the fall of men
- Everyone can play a role in forging gender parity
- Gender balance is not a women’s issue, it’s an economic issue
- Advocacy, inclusive mindsets and tangible action are needed from all
Journalist and activist Gloria Steinem once said, “The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights.”
Visibility of Creatives
A key piece of IWD is to increase the visibility of women creatives and promote their work for commercial projects. This year IWD joined forces with the all-women street artist group International Women’s Crew to run an IWD Street Art Competition. Female street artists worldwide made works based on three categories: #EachforEqual, Happy International Women’s Day, and Women’s Equality. Go see their powerful submissions.
IWD also holds a photography competition and typography competition (winners have now been announced). Seeking a woman typographer for a project? Look through all the 2020 entries and connect with creators online. Additionally, you can read about multi-talented musician C Cane who made this IWD video on the importance of taking action today.
What You Can Do Now and Year-Round
- Be it goods or services, find out if a female-owned business can assist you
- Refer those businesses to family/friends (and engage with those businesses online)
- Support organizations whose main goal is to assist women, including female entrepreneurship
- Volunteer time and effort if monetary donations are not feasible
Now go tell a special woman in your life Happy International Women’s Day!
(Top image by Maria Skrigan, purchased at Creative Market)